See my Computational Mechanics web site for documentation and downloads for finite element analysis (FEA) and material point method (MPM) software. My Other Software web site also lists some other scientific software.
My Other Software web site lists all software packages that are available on the internet. This software includes scientific software and non-scientific, commercial software.
The following applications can be clicked to launch on your computer using Java Web Start technology.
- Oregon State Laminates - A graphical interface for doing laminated plate theory calculations of composites. It is decribed more fully on its own page.
- Units Converter Application - Convert almost any type of units into all other related units with a single click.
Click image to launch
- Heat Transport Calculations - One-dimensional simulation of heat transport in slabs, cylinders, and spheres with convection boundary conditions.
Click image to launch
The following is a list of some JAVA Applets. These are some trial applets; more will be posted if they prove worthwhile.
- Units Converter - enter any number of any units and convert to a wide range of other units.
- Copolymer Equation - explore an equation that gives the composition of a copolymer from monomer properties.
Notes on Java Web Start Technology
Java Web Start is a new method to deliver Java Applications over the internet without need to involve the browser. In brief, the links for each of the above applications will initiate Java Web Start. The following will happen when clicked:
- A small
XML file with extension
.jnlp will be downloaded to computer.
- Your browser should then automatically launch the
Java Web Start application on your computer (if you do not have that application, it is available for free from www.sun.com. You should download the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE). If you think you might develop Java applications, you can download the latest Java Development Kit (JDK) instead.
Java Web Start application will download the Java application to a cache on your computer and run the application.
- You can re-run that application at any future time without logging on to the Internet simply be running the
Java Web Start application and selecting it from the list. As an added bonus, everytime you run it (and you are connected to the Internet), the
Java Web Start application will automatically check if a newer version is available and download it if needed.
- If you are running the application frequently, you can use the
Java Web Start application to create a desktop version of the application for easier launching.
- Java Web Start applications are also secure. They are not allowed to do anything that can cause damage unless the application is "signed" and you verify and accept an authentication request. All above applications are "unsigned" and therefore can not modify you computer.