OSU-based Continuing Education Programming
- Participation in Continuing Education - Audiences: 90+ % Professional Land Managers
Silviculture Institute and Other Advanced Silviculture Training
The Silviculture Institute (SI) is a jointly (OSU and WSU) organized and operated
modular training program consisting of 6 modules. The Institute grew out of the need to
have advanced training for journeyman silviculturists. The professionals who are the
"students" of the Institute are then Certified Silviculturists, as required by USDA Forest
Service policy. Dr. Emmingham played a major role in the development of the SI
curriculum and in perfecting the silviculture of young forests portion of the course. He
organized and led the "regeneration and young stand silviculture" module, 8 of the last 13
years, taught in the ecosystem module (11 yrs), served on the review panel in the
capstone module for 8 years, and coordinated the 3 OSU modules for 2 years.
- 1989-90 - Silviculture Institute, OSU Organizational Coordinator
- 1981-86, 1988-91, and 1992 - Module 2, Lecture 2-4 hours, and Co-leader of 2-day field
trip. 25-33 participants/yr (330 plus total).
- 1981-86, 1988-91, & 1993 - Organizer and leader or co-leader of 11-day, Silviculture
Institute Module 5, FS 532. Regeneration and Young Stand Management. 28-35
participants/yr (330 plus total).
- 1981-88 - Module 6, Prescription Review Panel, Pack Forest (30 participants/yr.).
- 1981-1988 - Ecosystems and the effects of environmental factors. Logan, Utah. USFS
Intermountain Station Silviculture Certification Program. Trees. (150+
- 1991 Co-organized and led two-week Nursery Management Workshop, Trichur, India.
- 1988 Silviculture Workshop for the State of Alaska. Co-organizer and Instructor in a
one-week course. 50 participants, August.
- 1988 "Intensive Forest Management in the Urban Interface." (Invited paper) Medford
SAF Symposium (100+)
- 1993 Uneven-age Methods for Ecosystem Management of Eastside Forests, 4 days
Emmingham, W.H. & S. Fitzgerald-Co-organizer & Leader, also Instruction (65)
- 1993 Commercial Thinning and Underplanting to Enhance Diversity of Forests &
Streams, 3 workshops, 1 day each Emmingham, W.H. & G.F. Tucker-Co-organized, Co-led, Instructed. ( 200+)
- 1992 Ecosystem Management, H.J. Andrews, 3 days Emmingham, W.H. & W. Ferrell-
Co-organized, Co-led, Instructed. (60 )
- 1991 Vegetation Management, Corvallis, OR., 3 days. Moderated a 1/2 day Session
- 1991 Uneven-aged Management Workshop, Sisters OR, 4 days. Emmingham, W.H. &
S. Fitzgerald-Co-organized, Co-led, and Instructed (82)
- 1991 Ecosystem Management, H.J. Andrews, 2 days. Emmingham, W.H. & W. Ferrell-
Co-organized and Co-led, Instructed (61)
- 1990 Uneven-aged Management Workshop, Enterprise OR, 3 days. Emmingham, W.H.
& S. Fitzgerald-Co-organized, Co-leader, Instructed. (83)
- 1990 Silvicultural Approaches to Animal Damage Management in Pacific Northwest
Forests, a 2-day symposium. OSU Coordinator, Co-leader, and Presented a Paper
- 1989 Vegetation Management, Corvallis, 3 day. Presented a Paper: (155)
- 1988 Vegetation Management, Corvallis, 3 day. Hibbs, D. and W. Emmingham Co-
director & Co-leader (154)
- 1986 Vegetation Management, Corvallis, 3 day. Hibbs, D. and W.H Emmingham
Co-director and Co-leader (150+)
- 1985 Forest Vegetation Management, Corvallis, 3 day Emmingham, W.H. & D.
Hibbs-Co-director, Lecturer (145)
- 1985 Stand Density Management, Medford Emmingham, W.H. & S. Tesch-
Co-director, Instructor (65)
- 1985 Stand Density Management, Corvallis Emmingham, W.H. & S. Tesch-
Co-director, Instructor (80)
- 1985 Identifying and Using Plant Associations in the Coast Range, Corvallis, 1 day
Emmingham, W.H.-Director/Instructor (60)
- 1985 Identifying and Using Plant Associations in Southwestern Oregon, Medford, 2
day Emmingham, W.H.-Director/Instructor (60)
- 1985 Riparian Zone Ecology and Management in Western Oregon, H.J. Andrews, 3 day
Emmingham, W.H.-Director/Instructor (52)
- 1984 Hardwood Management and Utilization Co-leaders: W. Emmingham, T.
Brown, J. Garland, D. Hibbs (77)
- 1984 Vegetation Management Workshop, 2.5 day Hibbs, D., W.H. Emmingham-Co-
organizer and Co-leader (150+ )
- 1983 Managing Young Stands in Southwest Oregon, 3-day Emmingham, W.H. &
S. Tesch-Co-organized and Instructor (250)
- 1983 Stand Management Workshop on Maintaining Forest Fertility, 3-day
Emmingham, W.H.-Organizer and Leader (120)
- 1982 Vegetation Management Workshop, 3-day Emmingham, W.H., D. Hibbs-
Co-organizer & Leader (150+ )
- 1982 Stand Management Workshop on Thinning, 3-day Emmingham, W.H.-
Organizer and Leader (150)
- 1982 Streamside Management Workshop, 2-day Emmingham, W.H. & P. Adams-
Co-organizer & Co-leader (130)
- 1982 Soil Compaction Workshop Presented a Paper (250)
- 1981 Forest Vegetation Management Walstad, J., W.H. Emmingham, Co-leaders (158)
- 1981 Stress management in mountain pine beetle threatened stands in central Oregon,
1-day Emmingham, W.H.-Organizer & Leader (50)
Back to Current Vita page 1.
Back to Bill's Homepage
Back to Adaptive COPE Personnel page
Back to Adaptive COPE Homepage