FMC Faculty & Staff
Name: David A. Zahler
- Media Production Specialist
- Senior Instructor, Forest Ecosystems and Society
- B.S., Forest Management, Oregon State University, 1992
- M.S., Forest Resources, Oregon State University, 1996
I am particularly interested in the use of computer-based media in natural
resource instruction and communication. More broadly, I enjoy designing
and creating products that help people understand and appreciate forests
and forestry, and the roles each has played in the social, ecological, and
economic systems in which we live.
- Co-Instructor, Forestry for Teachers (1999,2000)
- Co-Instructor, Flora of Pacific Northwest Forests (1998-2000)
Oregon Forest Institute for Teachers (1999-2000, 2002)
- Lab Instructor, Tree Identification (2001-2002)
- Executive Committee Chair, Oregon Society
of American Foresters Continuing Forestry Education Program (2002-present)
- Co-Instructor, Introduction to Computing in Forestry
- Faculty Advisor, Student Chapter of Society of
American Foresters (2003-2008)
- Faculty Advisor, OSU Women's Ultimate Frisbee Team (2004-2007)
- Faculty Advisor, OSU Phi Kappa Psi fraternity (2004-2007, 2010-present)
- OSU Faculty Senator, 2007-2009
- Member, OSU College of Forestry International Programs Committee (2008-present)
- Coordinator, OSU College of Forestry Peace Corps Master's International
- Member, College of Forestry Diversity Committee (2009-present)
- Coordinator, Stregnthening Educatioon and Employment for Diverse Students
(SEEDS) program, OSU College of Forestry (2009-present)
- (html, PHP design) Center for Provenance Data (2010)
- (design) Peace Corps Master's International, OSU College of Forestry
contruct) Jackson County Fuels Reduction Educational Website (2005)
- (producer, design, construct, content) Sustainable
Forestry Virtual Tour (2001)
- (2001 co-design, construct) College
of Forestry (modified 2004; replaced 2007)
- (co-design, construct, content) ForestLearn (1999-
- (conversion, template design) Reproductive
Ecology of Broadleaved Trees and Shrubs (2004)
- (conversion and content update) Trees of North America, the Conifers
- (co-produce, design, construct) College of Forestry outreach to
prospective students (2005)
- (co-Produced) "Century of Forestry in Oregon"
- (co-produced) CoF Centennial Video
DVD construction) "Ties
to the Land: Intergenerational Transfer of Family Forestland" (2006)
- Livesay, M.J., J. Einerson, and D.A. Zahler. 2009. Field Study Cards of
the Willamette Valley, Oregon: Upland Prairie. (field study cards)
- Livesay, M.J., J. Einerson, and D.A. Zahler. 2008. Field Study Cards of
the Willamette Valley, Oregon: Wetlands. (field study cards)
- Popalka, E., R. Hughes, and D. Zahler. 2008. Willamette River Water Quality
Map. Corvallis Environmental Center and OSU Institute for Water and Watersheds.
- Livesay, M.J., J. Einerson, and D.A. Zahler. 2007. Field Study Cards of
the Willamette Valley, Oregon: Riparian Areas. (field study cards)
- Livesay, M.J., J. Einerson, and D.A. Zahler. 2006. Field Study Cards of
the Willamette Valley, Oregon: Oak Woodlans. (field study cards)
- Livesay, M.J., J. Einerson, and D.A. Zahler. 2005. Field Study Cards of
the Willamette Valley, Oregon: Douglas-fir Forests. (field study
- Zahler, D.A., and E.C. Jensen. 2003. Forests in Oregon. Oregon Forest Resources
- Cloughesy, M., D.A. Zahler, and M. Rellergert. 2001. Using Pre- and Post-
Tests to Evaluate the Achievement of Short Course Learning Objectives. Journal
of Extension 39:2.
- Hino, J.C., E.C. Jensen, M.D. Reed and D.A. Zahler. 2000. Creating Learning
Opportunities for Forestry Workers. Third Biennial Conference on Higher
Education in Natural Resources, March 25-28, 2000. University of Missouri,
(Paper and poster, and presentation)
- Zahler, D.A. and E.C. Jensen. 2000. A Triad of Learning Opportunities for
K-12 Teachers. Third Biennial Conference on Higher Education in Natural Resources,
March 25-28, 2000. University of Missouri, Columbia. (Paper and presentation)
- Jensen, E.C., D.A. Zahler, J.C. Hino, ands A. Barstow.1999. Conifers of
the Pacific Northwest; interactive CD-ROM.
- Father to a lovely daughter, Linnea;
husband to a lovely wife, April.
- President, Board of Directors, Corvallis Environmental
Center, a 501(c)(3) educational non-profit (2003- 2008).
- Serve as "naturalist" for field trips in the Crescent
Valley High School Course, "American Wilderness" (2000- present).
- Served in Peace Corps, Guatemala,
Agroforestry and Natural Resource Conservation program,
My wife and I lived in a small village in rural central Guatemala and
spoke Spanish and Q'eqchi with our neighbors and coworkers.
- Worked about two years with USDA Forest
Science Laboratories, Corvallis, Oregon, as a research and field technician
to graduate school.
herb and shrub regeneration, in-stream salmonid population studies, and
a riparian hardwood harvest timing study.
- Native Oregonian, raised in Eugene.
< previous : next >